Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Another Pittman

Wow, it has been so long since I have blogged I almost forgot my login info!

This blog is not about me or my work. It's about my older brother, Scott. His life was cut short at 28, many years ago, but he was one great brother. Where I excelled in music and arts, he excelled in sports. I was playing drums in the high school band when I saw him return a kickoff 99+ yards for a touchdown! A state record at the time! His high school football team had a state championship record where they were not only unbeaten, but every game they were unscored upon!

In baseball, I saw him pitch the only perfect game I ever saw. And I mean TRUE perfect game-- three batters up, three batters down for every inning. No balls, no fouls-- every pitch a strike!

As it was getting near the last inning, the opposing team had a hitter come to the plate who was renowned for hitting a home run almost every time up. My brother had struck him out each previous time at bat, but certainly not this last time at the plate. No one could fan this amazing slugger every time.

Then I saw something I'd never seen before-- my brother switched his pitching style. Instead of taking a wind-up as most pitchers do, he simply faced the batter and all of a sudden tossed the ball! "Quick pitching" it is called. I never even heard of it. It gets the timing of the batter completely off as they see no wind-up and no notice of when the ball is going to be released.

And it worked! The slugger was completely bamboozled! Swinging sometimes before the ball reached the plate, and sometimes after it was already in the catcher's glove.

My brother was always proud of my academic, musical, and artistic accomplishments. I wish I had told him how proud I was of his sports ability. He was the best natural athlete I ever saw.

2 comments:

Joy said...

Even though I have heard those stories many times, I still enjoyed reading this post!
Since I'm doing so much genealogy research, it's interesting to think about future generations- what will they be able to find of us? I hope stories of your artistic abilities and Scott's athletic ones are long lived. :)

Meredith Calton said...

Thank you so much for your blog. Since I have to rely on memories of others, it is so nice to have happy ones. I only hope that Asher follows in his grandfather's athletic footsteps and also inherits the academic and artistic talent from his Uncle Jackie. What a wonderful combination that would be. Thanks for the memories.